Ok, I’m not saying your homepage is not important. Once upon a time, not long ago, a homepage was the most important page on a website. That’s no longer true. In today’s age, homepages are becoming less important, because the internet and people’s search behavior have changed.
- Search engines are indexing individual pages, blog posts, images, etc. People aren’t searching for a baseball bat, taking them to a website’s homepage. They’re looking for an Easton aluminum bat, taking them straight to a page having that information.
- Email and newsletters links go straight to landing pages on a website. When you have direct contact with your customers, you drive them straight to the information you want them to see.
- Referral links are directed to individual pages.
- Social media links link straight to a blog post.
The list can on and on. The point is, visitors are not staying on the homepage long so it’s importance is declining. Now I’m not saying to get rid of your homepage or ignore it completely. It still serves a purpose, it gets your visitors to the other pages in your website. There will still be people that visit your website by typing in your address.
So What’s My Point?
- Keep it simple. Get rid of all the clutter and stick to a simple design that directs your visitor to the reason they’re there in the first place, information.
- Dedicate more time on the other pages in your website. Make sure they are attractive, easy to read and easy to access.
- Content is still king. Those pages need tons of good, relevant content.
One Last Rant!
More and more I’m seeing websites using sliders. You’ve seen them at the top of the pages. Pictures with headlines that rotate every couple seconds.
Stop it!! Get rid of them.
- They’re distracting. Especially when you’re trying to read and the picture are changing over and over. And most of the time they change so fast, you can’t finish reading the headline.
- They don’t convert. They are time sensitive and change automatically. They serve no purpose in my opinion.
Check out the Build A Website page for information on building a website.
Turn Any Passion Into A Thriving Online Business
- Choose an interest
- Build a website
- Attract Visitors
- Earn money
Click on the link below for more information.
Leave your comments and questions below or get a hold of me inside Wealthy Affiliate (profile link).