How do you answer when asked what you do for a living or what kind of business are you in?
Do you start talking about the company you’re with and how great your products or services are? Do you start bragging on how much money they can make?
I’ve said over and over again, who cares. Yes, you might be with a great company, or have a great product or service, but there are other companies out there that will do the same.
So what does it all come down to?
Like I’ve said over and over again, it comes down to YOU . What are you going to do for me? How are you going to help me be successful? That’s what you should focus on initially.
I get excited when asked what I do for a living.
Here’s my response:
“Tom, I’m in the people business. My team and I coach and mentor people to be able to start their online business. We help people to be able to live happier, healthier, more abundant lifestyles. We support people in creating multiple streams of income. Is that something you are interested in doing Tom?
When people say “no man is an island,” they don’t only mean that no man or woman should live alone, but it also
means that men and women are perpetually learning creatures: they need someone to guide them through life, and make wise decisions. As these same men and women grow older, they will get the chance to guide someone who is younger and less experienced than they.
The same applies in business. What happens when someone starts a new job? They go through training right? I used to manage a grocery store. When a new person was hired, I didn’t give them a cash register manual and told them to learn it. I stood there with them and showed them how to use it till they learned it.
That’s what you need to do with people you recruit into anything. You need to be a mentor/coach to them. Don’t just throw your training resources at them and say, “Go gettem tiger!” and be done. You need to show them exactly how to do it. Show them what you do on a daily basis to be successful.
Ralph Waldo Emerson stated that, “You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.” And indeed, mentors are doing kindness when they take on the responsibility of helping other people learn from their experiences.
You as a mentor can provide the necessary insights and perspectives on what a person should do to achieve his or her goals.
A quote from an unknown author read, “A lot of people have gone further than they thought they could because someone else thought they could.” The mentor does just that, they believe that their mentees can do it. This, in itself, is usually encouragement enough for the mentee to do their best to succeed.
Someone helped or is helping you grown an online business. Now pay it forward and do the same. Set yourself apart from the rest and help others.
- Become an expert source. Be the go to guy in your field. Get your online PhD (more on this later).
- Become a great communicator. Research shows communications skill is the top determinant for upward social and professional mobility.
- Draft a marketing plan for yourself annually, and review it quarterly. Include specific goals, strategies, action steps, and a timetable.
- Develop an ‘elevator speech.” Within the time that it takes an elevator to travel one floor, be able to deliver a concise description of what you do, how you do it differently, and the benefit it provides.
- Build your Rolodex. Make new business contacts and stay in touch with them. Most people with powerful brands have powerful friends.
- Balance your individual style with clothing that will appeal to those you are trying to impress. I’m not saying you need to be in a suit all the time. You can’t impress if you are in rags.
- Learn good business and social etiquette. Buy elegant personal stationery and send hand-written notes.
- Give something back. Giving your time, talent, and money to charitable causes is a brand-builder especially when it complements your brand strategy. Find a cause you are passionate about.
Do You Have A Mentor?
Be Mentored By A Community Of Entrepreneurs
A place that provides you with three very important things:
- People Available to Help You
I call it the entrepreneur’s social hangout. If you ever get stuck, there’s a whole community, and I mean thousands, of people there to help you. All you have to do is just ask. There are live chats, topical discussions and posts on any subject.
- Your Own Website
Or may I say websites. Yes, websites. They are ready to go and ready to make money.
- Always Learning and Practicing What You Learn
When I say hands-on, I mean hands-on. You’ll learn step by step how to build your business from the ground up. If you already have a business, you’ll learn how to make it better. You’ll find videos, tutorials, courses and classrooms available to you. There’s no theory here people! You’ll learn proven methods, because everyone is doing it on a daily basis.
If so, check out the Getting Started page.
Turn Any Passion Into A Thriving Online Business
- Choose an interest
- Build a website
- Attract Visitors
- Earn money
Click on the link below for more information.
I’m here to help you. Leave your comments and questions below or get a hold of me inside Wealthy Affiliate (my profile).